Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Polymarket launches private company deal to allow investors to speculate in Anthropic, OpenAI

May 20, 2026

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

May 20, 2026

Radar reaches unicorn status with Series B funding round

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » WHO director-general warns of scale of Ebola outbreak as death toll rises
Latest News

WHO director-general warns of scale of Ebola outbreak as death toll rises

adminBy adminMay 19, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The head of the World Health Organization said on Tuesday that he was “deeply concerned by the scale and speed” of the Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, as local authorities warned of rising death tolls.

WHO Director-General Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo virus, one of several viruses known as ortho-Ebola viruses that can cause Ebola, and is primarily affecting DRC’s remote north-eastern Ituri province.

In response to the growing epidemic, the United States on Monday activated a public health law restricting entry from the Democratic Republic of the Congo after an American citizen tested positive for the novel coronavirus. The Africa Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (Africa CDC) criticized the move, saying “broad travel bans have the potential to disrupt lives and economies.”

As of Tuesday, 131 people had died in connection with the outbreak and more than 500 people were suspected of being infected, according to Dr. Samuel Roger Kamba, DRC’s Minister of Health.

Ghebreyesus said 30 cases have so far been confirmed in Ituri. Meanwhile, neighboring Uganda has also reported two laboratory-confirmed cases in the capital Kampala, according to the WHO.

On Sunday, the United Nations health agency declared the outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern” and said the high positivity rate and rising number of cases and deaths pointed to “a potentially larger outbreak.”

A girl washes her hands before entering Quichero Hospital on Monday at a checkpoint where all visitors and patients entering the hospital are subject to hand washing and temperature checks as part of Ebola prevention measures in Goma.

Ghebreyesus said Tuesday it was the first time the secretary-general had declared a state of emergency of this kind before convening the emergency committee, which will be held later on Tuesday. “I didn’t do it lightly,” he added.

According to the Africa CDC, Ebola is a serious and often fatal disease that is spread through direct contact with the body fluids of an infected person. It can also be spread by contact with contaminated materials or people who have died from the disease. Currently, there are no approved treatments or vaccines specific for Bundibugyo virus.

This is a developing story and will be updated.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleWhy the next 10 years will be difficult for U.S. stocks: Investment Manager
Next Article Blackstone to invest $5 billion in AI infrastructure venture with Google
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

Bodies of two Italian divers found in Maldives sea cave

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

By adminMay 20, 20260

Sportswoman of the Year Award Aja Wilson — Basketball Angel Reese — Basketball Claressa Shields…

Brooke Averick reveals she will miss Phoebe Berman’s real-world influence

May 20, 2026

Hayden Panettiere talks about the dynamic change in Connie Britton’s fame in Nashville

May 20, 2026

Emily Henry addresses Patrick Schwarzenegger’s Beach Reid casting criticism

May 20, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.