A fan arrested in Morocco in the aftermath of the AFCON 2025 final has returned home following a humanitarian pardon by the King of Morocco.
Published May 24, 2026
A group of Senegalese soccer supporters who were jailed following chaos and violence at the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in Morocco in January have returned home after being pardoned by the King of Morocco.
Morocco’s Royal Court announced on Saturday that King Mohammed VI had granted the fan a pardon “on humanitarian grounds” on the occasion of the Islamic holiday Eid al-Adha.
Senegal’s President Bashir Diomai Fay greeted jubilant supporters as they arrived at the airport on the outskirts of Dakar on Sunday.
Fay, who wore a jersey for the occasion, told reporters: “I’m very happy to be able to bring them back to Senegalese soil.”
He thanked the Moroccan authorities for their pardon, but hailed the national team as “two-time African champions” in what Morocco will likely see as a revelation, even though January’s final is pending at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.
Senegal won the continental final against Morocco in Rabat on January 18, but the match was later decided on appeal by the host nation.
After the match was tied 0-0 and Morocco were awarded a penalty in second-half stoppage time, Senegalese fans stormed onto the pitch and attempted to hurl projectiles at Senegal shortly after Senegal’s goal was canceled.
The Senegalese team left the pitch in protest of the penalty award, and play was halted for nearly 20 minutes.
Upon their return, they watched in glee as Morocco missed a penalty and went on to score the winning goal in the 94th minute.
In February, a Moroccan court sentenced 18 Senegalese supporters detained in Morocco since the final to three months to one year in prison for hooliganism.
The three were released in mid-April after completing their three-month sentences.
Following his release, 15 more Senegalese fans remained in prison, receiving sentences ranging from six months to one year.
A royal pardon was applied to these 15 people.
repair the bond
The incident strained relations between Morocco and Senegal, who have a history of friendship.
However, the Royal Court of Morocco said that in view of the “long-standing ties of friendship” between the two countries, and on the occasion of Eid al-Adha, which is celebrated in the country on Wednesday, the king “granted a royal pardon to Senegal’s supporters on humanitarian grounds.”
Senegal’s president previously welcomed the decision in a post about X.
“Our fellow citizens… are free. They will soon be reunited with their loved ones,” Fay wrote.
He thanked King Mohammed VI for his decision, which was “full of generosity and humanity.”
The Moroccan public prosecutor’s office said the charges against the 18 soccer fans were based primarily on footage from cameras at Rabat’s Moulay Abdellah stadium and medical reports from injured law enforcement officers and stewards.
The property damage caused by the violence is estimated at more than 370,000 euros (approximately $430,000).
At the end of January, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) imposed disciplinary action on both federations for unsporting conduct and breaches of the Fair Play Principles.
After CAF’s March 17 administrative decision to award the title to Morocco, Senegal appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.
The two countries have a history of cooperation in areas such as tourism and energy, and also share strong religious ties.
Senegalese make up the largest foreign community living in Morocco.
