Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Polymarket launches private company deal to allow investors to speculate in Anthropic, OpenAI

May 20, 2026

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

May 20, 2026

Radar reaches unicorn status with Series B funding round

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Neymar will play in the World Cup. Why did Brazil name him in their national team? | Soccer News
Sports

Neymar will play in the World Cup. Why did Brazil name him in their national team? | Soccer News

adminBy adminMay 19, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


When manager Carlo Ancelotti read out the list of players in Brazil’s World Cup squad, the name that drew the loudest cheers was Neymar Jr.

After months of hard work on his fitness, the 34-year-old forward breathed a sigh of relief after earning a spot in Brazil’s 26-man squad for the North American Games, which begin on June 11.

Recommended stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

His return to the national team after two-and-a-half years came with its own share of drama and questions.

Here’s what you need to know about Neymar’s surprise call-up to the World Cup.

Why was Neymar selected for the Brazil World Cup squad?

Brazil coach Ancelotti said he chose Neymar out of nine attackers after seeing his improved fitness level.

Neymar da Silva Santos Jr. is Brazil’s all-time leading scorer. However, he missed most of the Selecao’s qualifying campaign for the 2026 tournament due to injury, as they aim for a record-extending sixth title, and his selection in the squad was considered doubtful.

“We have evaluated Neymar throughout the year and have noticed that recently he has been playing consistently and his fitness has improved,” Ancelotti told reporters at Monday’s squad announcement in Rio de Janeiro.

“He has the same role and responsibilities as the other players, but he is an experienced player. It is true that in some positions we prioritized experience.”

Why was Neymar’s choice so controversial?

The simple answer is injury.

Neymar has struggled to return to peak fitness and has been absent from the national team squad since October 2023, when he suffered a serious knee injury in which he tore his anterior cruciate ligament (ACL). A lengthy injury absence with Saudi club Al Hilal and a disappointing return to boyhood club Santos last year have raised further doubts about the veteran’s inclusion in the squad.

There was a national debate over whether Ancelotti should call him up for the World Cup, but only time will tell whether the decision backfired or was another coaching stunt by the Italian manager.

The dressing room could benefit from Neymar’s veteran presence, and especially from his experience playing in major tournaments, but there are doubts whether his size can keep up with the demanding nature of an expanded World Cup.

Earlier this week, Neymar made global headlines, albeit for a different reason. He was furious over a substitution mistake during a game against Santos, and a video of the incident went viral on social media.

Neymar reacts.
The Neymar of 2026 will be different from the player who represented Brazil in past World Cups due to his age and repeated injuries (Nelson Almeida/AFP)

How did fans and experts react to Neymar’s choice?

Despite being away from the national team since the end of 2023, Neymar still holds a special place in the hearts of Brazilian fans and players.

As the World Cup selections were announced, hundreds of fans gathered outside Rio de Janeiro’s Tomorrow Museum, holding up their phones and waiting desperately for manager Ancelotti to announce the names of their beloved superstars.

And when Neymar’s participation was finally confirmed inside the venue, there was a party-like atmosphere in this part of the soccer-mad South American country.

Players have also been vocal about their support for Neymar.

Former Brazil defender Marcelo raised his fist to congratulate Neymar on joining the squad in an Instagram post after seeing the announcement on TV. Meanwhile, Barcelona star Rafinha, who was also called up, told TV Globo earlier this month that Neymar is “the man who will take us to a sixth World Cup title”.

Captain Marquinhos spearheaded a public lobbying campaign by players to have Neymar included, telling Brazilian website UOL in March: “As a teammate, as a Brazilian and as a fan, we want him to play in the World Cup.”

Is Joao Pedro left out of the Brazil squad?

yes. On Tuesday, Pedro was named Chelsea’s Player of the Year for the 2025-26 season. However, it wasn’t enough to earn him a place in the star-studded team of Brazilian players who had been named the day before. The versatile forward was snubbed along with Richarlison, with Eder Militão, Rodrigo and Estevao all sidelined through injury.

How many World Cups has Neymar played in? And will this be his last?

The 2026 tournament will be Neymar’s fourth World Cup.

He played in the 2014 tournament in his home country, followed by the 2018 tournament in Russia and the last World Cup in Qatar four years ago. Neymar has scored eight goals and provided four assists in 13 games in three World Cups.

He also boasts the impressive record of being Brazil’s top scorer with 79 goals, a feat that surpasses that of Brazil’s great Pele, who was Brazil’s absolute main marksman for 60 years.

But will this be Neymar’s last dance? probably.

Given his history of injuries and fitness issues, declining skill set and increasing age (he will be 38 by the 2030 tournament), it is highly unlikely that Neymar will play in another World Cup.

How many goals will Neymar score in 2026?

His four goals and two assists in Brazil’s Serie A in 2026, after returning from surgery in February, are far from his usual best results for the former two-time La Liga champion and Champions League trophy winner with Barcelona, ​​and five-time Ligue 1 champion with Paris Saint-Germain (PSG).



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleBessent urges G7 to support US financial attack on Iran
Next Article Jonathan Andick, son of Mango founder Isaac Andick, arrested after cliff fall
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Arsenal’s Arteta insists Premier League will take a step away from Guardiola’s shadow | Soccer News

May 20, 2026

US allows Democratic Republic of the Congo soccer team to play in World Cup despite Ebola restrictions | 2026 World Cup News

May 19, 2026

Southampton banned from world’s most lucrative soccer match for spying | Soccer News

May 19, 2026

Man City draw with Bournemouth, Arsenal crowned Premier League champions | Soccer News

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

By adminMay 20, 20260

Sportswoman of the Year Award Aja Wilson — Basketball Angel Reese — Basketball Claressa Shields…

Brooke Averick reveals she will miss Phoebe Berman’s real-world influence

May 20, 2026

Hayden Panettiere talks about the dynamic change in Connie Britton’s fame in Nashville

May 20, 2026

Emily Henry addresses Patrick Schwarzenegger’s Beach Reid casting criticism

May 20, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.