Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

How a medical supplies CEO is weathering the oil price shock

May 24, 2026

Salah and Guardiola emotionally exit Premier League as West Ham lose | Soccer News

May 24, 2026

Move over, seltzer. Non-carbonated drinks are gaining attention

May 24, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Senegalese soccer fans return home following Moroccan royal pardon | Soccer News
Sports

Senegalese soccer fans return home following Moroccan royal pardon | Soccer News

adminBy adminMay 24, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


A fan arrested in Morocco in the aftermath of the AFCON 2025 final has returned home following a humanitarian pardon by the King of Morocco.

Published May 24, 2026May 24, 2026

A group of Senegalese soccer supporters who were jailed following chaos and violence at the African Cup of Nations (AFCON) final in Morocco in January have returned home after being pardoned by the King of Morocco.

Morocco’s Royal Court announced on Saturday that King Mohammed VI had granted the fan a pardon “on humanitarian grounds” on the occasion of the Islamic holiday Eid al-Adha.

Senegal’s President Bashir Diomai Fay greeted jubilant supporters as they arrived at the airport on the outskirts of Dakar on Sunday.

Fay, who wore a jersey for the occasion, told reporters: “I’m very happy to be able to bring them back to Senegalese soil.”

He thanked the Moroccan authorities for their pardon, but hailed the national team as “two-time African champions” in what Morocco will likely see as a revelation, even though January’s final is pending at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in Switzerland.

Senegal won the continental final against Morocco in Rabat on January 18, but the match was later decided on appeal by the host nation.

After the match was tied 0-0 and Morocco were awarded a penalty in second-half stoppage time, Senegalese fans stormed onto the pitch and attempted to hurl projectiles at Senegal shortly after Senegal’s goal was canceled.

The Senegalese team left the pitch in protest of the penalty award, and play was halted for nearly 20 minutes.

Upon their return, they watched in glee as Morocco missed a penalty and went on to score the winning goal in the 94th minute.

In February, a Moroccan court sentenced 18 Senegalese supporters detained in Morocco since the final to three months to one year in prison for hooliganism.

The three were released in mid-April after completing their three-month sentences.

Following his release, 15 more Senegalese fans remained in prison, receiving sentences ranging from six months to one year.

A royal pardon was applied to these 15 people.

repair the bond

The incident strained relations between Morocco and Senegal, who have a history of friendship.

However, the Royal Court of Morocco said that in view of the “long-standing ties of friendship” between the two countries, and on the occasion of Eid al-Adha, which is celebrated in the country on Wednesday, the king “granted a royal pardon to Senegal’s supporters on humanitarian grounds.”

Senegal’s president previously welcomed the decision in a post about X.

“Our fellow citizens… are free. They will soon be reunited with their loved ones,” Fay wrote.

He thanked King Mohammed VI for his decision, which was “full of generosity and humanity.”

The Moroccan public prosecutor’s office said the charges against the 18 soccer fans were based primarily on footage from cameras at Rabat’s Moulay Abdellah stadium and medical reports from injured law enforcement officers and stewards.

The property damage caused by the violence is estimated at more than 370,000 euros (approximately $430,000).

At the end of January, the Confederation of African Football (CAF) imposed disciplinary action on both federations for unsporting conduct and breaches of the Fair Play Principles.

After CAF’s March 17 administrative decision to award the title to Morocco, Senegal appealed to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The two countries have a history of cooperation in areas such as tourism and energy, and also share strong religious ties.

Senegalese make up the largest foreign community living in Morocco.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleAverage cost of dating for Millennials is $252, BMO finds
Next Article 40% off Sperry, GHBass, Nike collaboration
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Salah and Guardiola emotionally exit Premier League as West Ham lose | Soccer News

May 24, 2026

What you need to know about Cape Verde at the 2026 World Cup | 2026 World Cup News

May 24, 2026

Usyk avoids shocking defeat with 11th round stoppage of Verhoeven | Boxing News

May 24, 2026

Knicks beat Cavaliers, reach brink of NBA Finals | Basketball

May 24, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Donald Trump Jr. marries Bettina Anderson in the Bahamas

By adminMay 24, 20260

Donald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson engagedDonald Trump Jr. and Bettina Anderson are starting a…

40% off Sperry, GHBass, Nike collaboration

May 24, 2026

Flip flops, slides under $50

May 23, 2026

Lululemon Anniversary Lowest Price: Align Leggings, Everywhere Belt Bag

May 23, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

What’s in the proposed deal that could end the U.S.-Iranian conflict?

May 24, 2026

Turkish police attack main opposition CHP office, firing tear gas and rubber bullets

May 24, 2026

Powerful bomb explodes near railroad tracks in southwestern Pakistan, killing at least 19 people

May 24, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.