Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Polymarket launches private company deal to allow investors to speculate in Anthropic, OpenAI

May 20, 2026

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

May 20, 2026

Radar reaches unicorn status with Series B funding round

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Bodies of two Italian divers found in Maldives sea cave
Latest News

Bodies of two Italian divers found in Maldives sea cave

adminBy adminMay 19, 2026No Comments2 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


The bodies of two of the four remaining Italians who died in an underwater cave in the Maldives were recovered by divers on Tuesday, and work continues to recover the bodies of the remaining two, officials said.

Last week, five Italians died while exploring a cave in Vaabu Atoll, sparking a multinational effort to find and recover their bodies.

The effort was temporarily halted after one of the military divers attempting to find the body was also killed, but it highlighted the dangers of operating at depths of several dozen meters. Authorities believe the cause of death was decompression sickness.

When the search resumed on Monday, divers found the bodies of four Italians in the deepest part of the sea cave. Authorities said they expected to recover two bodies on Tuesday and another on Wednesday.

Maldivian government chief spokesperson Mohamed Hussein Sharif told CNN that the two bodies – one male and one female – were found in a third room of the cave and taken by police to a mortuary in the capital Male.

Maldives state media said the Italian government sent three experienced Finnish divers to help recover the bodies. The Maldives Defense Force said the divers from Divers Alert Network (DAN), a global scuba safety organization, were experts who had previously undertaken similar missions around the world.

The Italian scuba divers were reported missing early Thursday afternoon. Later that day, the body of diving instructor Gianluca Benedetti was discovered at the entrance to the cave.

From left to right: Muriel Odenino, Federico Gualtieri, Monica Montefalcone, Giarunka Benedetti, Giorgia Sonmakal.

The other four people killed were Monica Montefalcone, an associate professor of ecology at the University of Genoa; her daughter, Giorgia Somacal; Federico Gualtieri, marine biologist. Researcher Muriel Odenino. Authorities previously announced that the sixth diver had decided not to enter the water.

Efforts to find the remaining four bodies were paused over the weekend following searches by Sgt. Mohamed Mahdi, 43, died on Saturday during the second recovery mission to the cave. At its deepest point, the cave is 70 meters (230 feet) below the surface, roughly the height of a 20-story building, and 200 meters long.

Sharif pointed out that the legal depth for recreational diving in the Maldives is 30 meters (100 feet).



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleIran team races against time to prepare for World Cup during war between US and Israel | 2026 World Cup News
Next Article EU warns Iran war is causing stagflation shock
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

WHO director-general warns of scale of Ebola outbreak as death toll rises

May 19, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

By adminMay 20, 20260

Sportswoman of the Year Award Aja Wilson — Basketball Angel Reese — Basketball Claressa Shields…

Brooke Averick reveals she will miss Phoebe Berman’s real-world influence

May 20, 2026

Hayden Panettiere talks about the dynamic change in Connie Britton’s fame in Nashville

May 20, 2026

Emily Henry addresses Patrick Schwarzenegger’s Beach Reid casting criticism

May 20, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.