Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Crude oil soars as President Trump warns Iran that ‘time is running out’

May 18, 2026

President Trump warns Iran: ‘If we don’t move, there will be nothing left’

May 18, 2026

Nine out of 10 households in China own a home. But are dreams of real estate ownership being put to the test?

May 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Iran announces World Cup 2026 squad, Sardar Azmoun absent | 2026 World Cup News
Sports

Iran announces World Cup 2026 squad, Sardar Azmoun absent | 2026 World Cup News

adminBy adminMay 17, 2026No Comments3 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Azmoun, a veteran striker, is not included in the 30-man squad, which will be reduced to 26 players by June 1.

Published May 17, 2026May 17, 2026

Iran named their World Cup reserve squad before departing for a pre-tournament training camp, but experienced forward Sardar Azmoun was noticeably absent.

Azmoun, who was reportedly expelled from the national team for what was seen as disloyalty to the government amid the US-Israel war against Iran, was not among the 30 players named to the squad on Saturday.

The 31-year-old striker from Shabab Al Ahli in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE), angered Iranian authorities in March by posting a photo of a meeting with Dubai’s ruler Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum on his Instagram feed, according to Iranian media reports.

Fars news agency reported in March that Azmoun had been expelled from the team, citing “sources within the national team.” The player later deleted the photo, but was still criticized on national television.

Azmoun has scored 57 goals in 91 appearances for his country, and was part of the Iranian national team in his last two World Cup appearances.

Iran’s front line at the World Cup will be led by Mehdi Taremi, who has played in major European soccer leagues and is currently traded to Olympiakos FC in the Greek top league.

Head coach Amir Galenoei said the 30-member squad will travel to Turkiye on Monday to play a training camp and friendly matches, then complete visa applications before heading to the United States.

Team Melli will return to Antalya, where they trained and played friendly matches in March.

The squad must be reduced to 26 players, the maximum for the World Cup, by June 1st.

“Selecting the 30 players who will participate in the final training camp for the World Cup was the most difficult technical decision of my coaching career,” Galenoei told the Iranian Football Federation’s website, adding that he selected the players solely on “technical criteria.”

Iran hopes to play two friendlies in Antalya. Sam Mehdzadeh, an Iranian-Canadian who heads a company that arranges friendlies for the team, said they have already decided on one match against Gambia on May 29.

The Iranian squad and support staff have not been issued visas for the World Cup, but soccer’s world governing body FIFA issued reassurances ahead of the tournament’s kick-off on June 11.

Mehdi Taj, president of the Iranian Football Federation, said on Thursday that “the visa has not been issued yet.”

Taj said the players would be fingerprinted in Turkiye as part of the visa process, but wanted to avoid traveling more than 450 kilometers from Antalya to Turkey’s capital Ankara.

Iran will begin their World Cup campaign against New Zealand in Los Angeles on June 15, before playing Belgium in the same city and then Egypt in Group G in Seattle.

INTERACTIVE - FIFA Soccer Teams Qualified for 2026 World Cup-1776671102



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleCisco is the most overbought stock in the S&P 500. Other brands are as follows.
Next Article UKMTO: This small center in a British seaside town is the first ship to be attacked in a Persian Gulf port.
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

What you need to know about Panama at the 2026 FIFA World Cup | 2026 World Cup News

May 17, 2026

Egyptian teenager Amina Orfi defeats El Sherbini to win PSA World Squash Title | Sports News

May 17, 2026

Fabio Di Giannantonio wins shortened Catalunya MotoGP after Marquez crash | Motorsport News

May 17, 2026

Chelsea appoint Xabi Alonso as new manager on four-year contract | Soccer News

May 17, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Shellmaxxing takes over Summer 2026

By adminMay 17, 20260

If your Pinterest board is filled with coastal aesthetics and Eurosummer fantasies, you’re not alone.…

Adam Driver responds to Lena Dunham’s memoir claims in ‘wild’ outburst

May 17, 2026

Coach Outlet’s best shoulder bags are on sale ahead of Memorial Day weekend

May 17, 2026

Josh Duhamel welcomes second child with wife Audra Mari

May 17, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Nine out of 10 households in China own a home. But are dreams of real estate ownership being put to the test?

May 18, 2026

Canadian cruise passenger presumed positive for hantavirus

May 17, 2026

What we know about the latest Ebola outbreak after WHO declares a global health emergency

May 17, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.