Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Lenovo stock rises 15% in record profit as AI revenue nearly doubles

May 22, 2026

Katharine McPhee says she’s confused by Chrishell Stause’s TikTok callout

May 22, 2026

Strategy’s Michael Saylor says tokenization will allow investors to “shop” for yield.

May 22, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » US funding cuts have hampered response to the deadly Ebola crisis, aid workers say
Latest News

US funding cuts have hampered response to the deadly Ebola crisis, aid workers say

adminBy adminMay 22, 2026No Comments10 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


As a deadly Ebola outbreak tears through northeast Democratic Republic of the Congo, many first responders are turning a critical eye on events that preceded the crisis: layoffs of health workers funded by the United States, shortages of critical medical supplies and a steep reduction in American support for global aid programs.

The World Health Organization says more than a hundred deaths are thought to be linked to this outbreak, with nearly 600 suspected cases so far and it’s warning that “we know the scale of the epidemic in DRC is much larger.” It also said this strain of the virus – for which there is no specific vaccine or treatment – could have been circulating for months before it was detected.

There are several reasons for this delay, WHO says: the unusual strain of the virus, weak health infrastructure in the rural area where it originated and ethnic conflict in the region that hampered testing. But the tardy response has also shed an uncomfortable light on the real-world costs of the Trump administration’s cuts to foreign aid and its withdrawal from WHO, the global health body tasked with managing outbreaks of this kind.

While the Trump administration is keen to point blame elsewhere, aid workers and experts said US funding cutbacks and layoffs in multiple areas have hampered the world’s ability to respond to Ebola.

The Trump administration’s cuts are four-pronged: It withdrew funding from WHO, dissolved the US Agency for International Development (USAID), made cutbacks at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, and is in the process of reducing the total health aid it gives to DRC and Uganda, the countries at the center of the epidemic. All of those moves have weakened global health systems that are vital for effective responses to outbreaks like this one, experts told CNN.

“When you add up all of those elements, it’s hard to see how there could not have been an effect on the surveillance and response capacities in these countries,” said Josh Michaud, associate director for global and public health policy at KFF, a nonprofit health policy research and polling organization.

A patient prepares to have blood drawn for a test in a hospital in Mongbwalu, Ituri Province, Democratic Republic of Congo, as part of the Ebola response.

In one specific example, the International Rescue Committee, which has humanitarian responders on the ground in the DRC, said US funding cuts contributed to delayed detection of the virus.

“Weakened disease surveillance systems following severe health funding cuts in eastern DRC are contributing to the rapid escalation of the latest Ebola outbreak,” the IRC said in a statement. Heather Reoch Kerr, the group’s country director for DRC, added: “Years of underinvestment and recent funding cuts have left many health facilities without adequate protective equipment, surveillance capacity, or frontline support needed to respond quickly and safely.”

A senior State Department official claimed on Tuesday that none of the changes under the Trump administration hampered its efforts to respond to the outbreak. This official said that it had responded swiftly once the outbreak was identified by the WHO and that “the Ebola management programs carried over” and funding awards carried over after the dismantling of USAID.

“There was no specific person or program associated with USAID in this region that would have detected this or contributed to a detection framework here,” the official told reporters. They claimed that “numerous staff who have worked on these issues” were retained from USAID.

The CDC’s incident manager for the Ebola response, Dr. Satish Pillai, said Tuesday that the CDC has worked in the area for decades, with 100 staff in Uganda and nearly 30 staff members in DRC. The agency said it has also brought hundreds of people into the emergency response that it launched this week.

Ground crew at an airport in Nairobi, Kenya, load medical supplies onto a United Nations Humanitarian Air Service-operated plane bound for Bunia, in eastern DRC, as WHO coordinates deliveries on Wednesday as part of the Ebola response.

Health officials now say the first death thought to be linked to this outbreak occurred in Ituri Province in northeast Congo on April 20. But the outbreak wasn’t officially declared until May 15, after a delay in detection since testing for the rare Bundibugyo strain couldn’t be carried out locally. Samples had to be transported more than a thousand miles away to a lab in Kinshasa for confirmation, according to humanitarian workers in the region.

US Secretary of State Marco Rubio on Tuesday blamed the World Health Organization for being “a little late to identify this thing,” while acknowledging the other complicating factors. “It’s a little tough to get to it, because it’s in a rural area, so it’s kind of confined in a hard to get to place in a war-torn country, unfortunately,” he said.

But experts note that the cutoff of US funding to WHO prompted staff reductions at the global organization, and no other donor country has filled those WHO funding gaps. (Other countries, including the United Kingdom, Germany and Canada, also cut foreign aid in 2025 for global health and development.)

Despite the State Department comments, two former USAID officials told CNN that many of the people with experience responding to outbreaks of viruses like Ebola, as well as the relationships with local health officials, were fired in the dismantling of USAID.

One of the former USAID officials, who worked in the DRC, noted that although USAID didn’t have programs in the Ituri Province, it still could have helped to serve as “the glue” to coordinate health officials, NGOs and donors.

“You can have a ton of experts come in … but if you can’t actually get people out or pay health workers or supply them with the things that they need, there’s a real limitation there, and that’s what we lost with USAID,” the former official explained.

A woman sits beside a relative believed to have died from Ebola at the General Referral Hospital of Mongbwalu in Ituri Province, DRC, on Wednesday.

The IRC said emergency responders are already on the back foot, having to prioritize airlifting basic protective equipment – like gloves, masks and hospital gowns – to healthcare facilities. In the past, those facilities would have had supplies already stocked.

Before last year, the US government funded a range of the organization’s outbreak preparedness activities in eastern DRC, but the IRC said much of that funding ended in March 2025. IRC’s Vice President for emergencies, Bob Kitchen, acknowledged that the US is now mounting an emergency response but “with a very small checkbook.”

Speaking from the Democratic Republic of Congo, Greg Ramm of the nonprofit Save the Children summed up the gravity of the situation: “None of us have enough funding.”

Ramm and other experts have warned that many more people will die if the broader health system collapses, which is why it’s critical that people with Ebola seek treatment and that health facilities remain open to treat other diseases like malaria and malnutrition.

On Tuesday, the State Department said that it “mobilized an initial $23 million in bilateral foreign assistance to immediately bolster each country’s own response, supporting surveillance, laboratory capacity, risk communication, safe burials, entry and exit screening, and clinical case management” and would fund “up to 50 treatment clinics, and associated frontline costs being established in Ebola-affected regions of the DRC and Uganda.”

The CDC is leading the US response to the outbreak, alongside WHO and national health authorities in the affected countries.

“We are incredibly short-staffed across the board,” one CDC expert working on the response told CNN, noting that numerous CDC experts have been fired, quit or retired without being backfilled over the past year and a half.

The agency’s global staffing and public health infrastructure around the world have taken a hit. That’s in part because much of the CDC’s global work is funded through the President’s Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief program – but the State Department has withheld roughly $700 million from the CDC for the PEPFAR program this year, according to health policy analyst sources. Some malaria funding has also been withheld, sources said. has also been withheld, sources said.

A man holds up a sign outside the main campus of the Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) in Atlanta, Georgia, on April 1, 2025.

“They have been relentless in the last year – the political leadership and State Department – about stripping money away from CDC, saying that we have too many staff overseas,” the CDC source told CNN.

The source explained that money for the HIV/AIDS program helps pay for public health teams and infrastructure, like labs and surveillance systems.

The same staff and systems that help stop HIV epidemics are also those that often halt other epidemics, the source said, adding: “Our funding and our teams in east Africa, central Africa are definitely depleted.”

Asked about withheld funding, a State Department spokesperson disputed it and said, “PEPFAR funds for HHS and CDC to support US health foreign assistance programs continue to flow from the Department of State.”

Previous responses to Ebola outbreaks also relied heavily on USAID partners, according to infectious disease physician Dr. Fiona Havers, formerly an epidemiologist at the CDC who was deployed to Liberia during the Ebola outbreak in 2014. For example, USAID contract workers handled setting up clinics, importing ambulances, contacting people with suspected cases and staffing isolation facilities.

But last year, the Trump administration canceled thousands of foreign aid work contracts, as it dismantled USAID and folded the few remaining programs under the State Department.

“It’s not just the funding piece. … All of those aid groups have had their programs shut down, their clinics closed, the community health workers fired,” Havers told CNN. “Those groups are no longer available, or available in much more diminished capacity” to pivot to the Ebola response.

Relatives look on as the bodies of people who died of Ebola are taken from a health center in Rwampara, DRC, on Wednesday.

The former USAID officials said there has been a loss of goodwill between the US government and the local health authorities and partners on the ground because of the way funding was so suddenly cut last year.

“In DRC, we were the largest health donor, and we really had a convening power, and people looked to us, but they also relied on us for management and oversight,” the first former USAID official said. “We lost all respect and credibility.”

The second former official recalled when Elon Musk quipped last year that he had “accidentally canceled” funding to fight Ebola during an outbreak in Uganda, which he then claimed had been “immediately” restored. The former USAID official said that the cancellation of that funding meant that “everything stalled while the outbreak continued” in 2025. A year on, almost everyone on the USAID team that worked on that most recent outbreak has been fired, the former official said.

The Trump administration’s exit from WHO also means the US no longer receives information through those official reporting channels, although informal contact has continued.

“Withdrawing from the WHO just means that the US government and CDC are generally more out of the loop with information flows,” Havers added. “They’re not part of the conversation in the same way that they were, and I think that makes America less safe.”

The senior State Department official lambasted WHO for the delay in identifying the outbreak and praised the US response so far, which they said has also included the deployment of Disaster Assistance Response Teams to the DRC and Uganda.

Although the US government is mobilizing emergency funding for Ebola right now, health policy analysts told CNN that there are expected to be further cuts to global health programs in the future.

CNN has reported that the Trump administration plans to redirect $2 billion in funding intended for global health programs to cover the cost of closing USAID, according to a copy of the congressional notification obtained by CNN. That plan includes $647 million in funding reductions for global health security.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleIvanka Trump supports Vanessa Trump after breast cancer diagnosis
Next Article Strategy’s Michael Saylor says tokenization will allow investors to “shop” for yield.
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Ukraine claims two airstrikes killed scores of Russians in occupied eastern region

May 21, 2026

Demonstrators set fire to Ebola treatment center in Democratic Republic of Congo, demanding return of bodies

May 21, 2026

274 climbers set new record by summiting the south side of Everest in one day

May 21, 2026

Radio station apologizes after incorrectly announcing King Charles’ death

May 21, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Katharine McPhee says she’s confused by Chrishell Stause’s TikTok callout

By adminMay 22, 20260

Katharine McPhee That’s over now. The 42-year-old answered honestly: Chrishell StauseHarsh remarks about her dating…

Ivanka Trump supports Vanessa Trump after breast cancer diagnosis

May 22, 2026

NASCAR’s Kyle Busch hospitalized with illness, absent from Cup Series

May 22, 2026

Jeff Probst reveals details about Lizzo Velovich’s early exit from ‘Survivor’ Season 50

May 22, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

US funding cuts have hampered response to the deadly Ebola crisis, aid workers say

May 22, 2026

Ukraine claims two airstrikes killed scores of Russians in occupied eastern region

May 21, 2026

Demonstrators set fire to Ebola treatment center in Democratic Republic of Congo, demanding return of bodies

May 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.