Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Will Jensen Huang talk about “Trump” and Chinese chips after the Xi summit?

May 19, 2026

Elon Musk, ex Ashley St. Clair talk about ‘weird’ romance and baby decision

May 19, 2026

President Trump steers ahead of midterm elections, with Iran continuing to become more affordable after China

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » 2026 World Cup: Will violence and protests test Mexico’s co-host status? | 2026 World Cup News
Sports

2026 World Cup: Will violence and protests test Mexico’s co-host status? | 2026 World Cup News

adminBy adminMay 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Continued scrutiny of the United States’ role as World Cup co-hosts and FIFA’s role as tournament organizer is overshadowed by a growing list of security concerns and protests in Mexico, where the tournament’s opening round begins next month.

The 2026 World Cup begins on June 11 in Mexico City, with the home team facing South Africa at the Estadio Azteca. But soccer fans have been alarmed by recent incidents of violence and frequent protests in host cities across Mexico.

Recommended stories

list of 4 itemsend of list

The mass shooting that killed 10 people in Mexico’s Puebla state on Sunday exacerbated safety concerns previously raised by human rights groups and international fans traveling to North America for the tournament.

Here’s what happened in Mexico in the months leading up to the World Cup.

Security concerns increase due to shootings and cartel violence

Six men, three women and a minor were among the victims of an armed attack at a residence in Tehuitzingo, 200 kilometers from Mexico City, where the opening round of the tournament is scheduled to take place in just over three weeks.

The state attorney general’s office announced it has opened an investigation into the shooting. Ahead of the attack, Mexican President Claudia Sheinbaum pledged to beef up security, including deploying 100,000 security personnel, including the National Guard, police officers and employees of private security companies.

The shooting occurred less than a month after a gunman killed a Canadian tourist and injured 13 others in Teotihuacan, a popular tourist destination and archaeological site on the outskirts of Mexico City.

President Sheinbaum said Monday that Homeland Security Secretary Markwayne Mullin is scheduled to visit Mexico this week, but did not say why.

In April, Human Rights Watch stressed that Mexico remains one of the most dangerous countries in the world for the media ahead of the World Cup. It also highlighted that FIFA has not addressed the direct risks to journalists working in Mexico’s World Cup host city.

Amnesty International also called on FIFA and World Cup organizers to take urgent action to protect fans, players, journalists, workers and communities as the tournament takes place amid a “serious human rights crisis”.

A wave of violence erupted in Mexico in February after security forces killed Nemesio “El Mencho” Oseguera, a member and leader of the Jalisco New Generation Cartel (CJNG).

FIFA president Gianni Infantino said he was “very relieved” that Mexico would host the tournament after violence sparked by the killing of a drug cartel leader.

Repeated incidents have raised questions about the country’s ability to combat violent crime, and leaders are seeking to allay fears and criticism.

Interactive - Soccer FIFA World Cup 2026 Venues - 1776670771
(Al Jazeera)

forced disappearance

Several human rights organizations in Mexico are using the World Cup to draw attention to sociopolitical issues that have long gone unaddressed.

Relatives of Mexico’s missing people held a soccer game outside the Nuevo Leon State Government Palace on Sunday, demanding answers about the whereabouts of their loved ones.

Irma Leticia Hidalgo, the mother of missing person Roy Rivera Hidalgo, criticized authorities for investing in what she called “frivolous and superficial activities” while cutting resources for agencies tasked with searching for missing persons.

According to official government data, 133,960 people are missing in Mexico, a crisis largely driven by decades of cartel violence and institutional neglect.

Thousands of people across North America marched on Mother’s Day earlier this month to protest the violence and impunity plaguing the country, led by the mothers of people disappeared from decades of drug violence.

“Mexico mothers have nothing to celebrate because they are playing the most difficult game of justice,” the mothers of the missing people called on soccer fans to join them.

“Mexico is the champion of disappearances,” the protesters chanted.

“We had no choice but to start a fight because no one wanted to take responsibility for the disappearances,” said Graciela Pérez Rodríguez, whose daughter and four other relatives disappeared in 2012.

Members of the United Forces for Disappeared Persons of Nuevo León (FUNDENL) search for missing persons play soccer in memory of the missing before the 2026 FIFA World Cup in front of the Nuevo León Government Palace in Monterrey, Mexico, on May 17, 2026. Reuters/Daniel Becerril
Members of the United Forces of the Disappeared in Nuevo León (FUNDENL) play a match in Monterrey in memory of the missing before the 2026 FIFA World Cup, May 17, 2026 (Daniel Becerril/Reuters)

Teachers strike for higher wages

Teachers and activists marched through Mexico City on Friday on Teachers’ Day to demand higher wages and policy changes, and union leaders warned of a nationwide strike that could disrupt the start of next month’s World Cup.

The National Coordination of Education Workers (CNTE), a teachers’ union, rejected the government’s announcement of a 9% pay increase and called for a doubling of salaries and a reversal of education reforms.

Pedro Hernández Morales, general secretary of Mexico City’s CNTE Section 9, warned that “the ball will not roll” if demands are not met by Mexico’s opening game on June 11, threatening a national teacher strike.

The warning adds to the tension in an already tumultuous education debate, after authorities last week backed away from plans to shorten the school year because of the competition after a backlash from parents and educators.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleChina’s economy loses momentum in April as retail sales fall to 40-month low
Next Article Sebastian Stan, pregnant girlfriend Annabelle Wallis shows off baby bump
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Brazil calls Neymar to 2026 World Cup squad | Soccer News

May 19, 2026

Arsenal defeat Burnley to claim Premier League title | Soccer News

May 18, 2026

Guardiola on the verge of leaving Manchester City at the end of Premier League season | Soccer News

May 18, 2026

World Cup Golden Boot: Who are the top scoring players in each tournament? | 2026 World Cup News

May 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Elon Musk, ex Ashley St. Clair talk about ‘weird’ romance and baby decision

By adminMay 19, 20260

Exa Dark Sideral Musk & Techno Mechanicus Musk (Kids)In a 2022 interview with Vanity Fair,…

Katie Price says husband Lee Andrews is missing after being kidnapped in Dubai

May 19, 2026

What happened when a body was found in a sea cave?

May 19, 2026

Christopher Abbott excited about baby with pregnant Aubrey Plaza

May 18, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Cuban president warns of ‘bloodshed’ if US takes military action

May 18, 2026

Avoiding drones: Air attackers pursue Ukrainian military and CNN team on main road to front lines

May 18, 2026

His only functioning arm was crushed by a crocodile. He returned to the water to fight plastic pollution

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.