Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Alex Cooper, Matt Kaplan: A Love Story

May 19, 2026

Will Jensen Huang talk about “Trump” and Chinese chips after the Xi summit?

May 19, 2026

Elon Musk, ex Ashley St. Clair talk about ‘weird’ romance and baby decision

May 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Ebola: Global efforts to contain new outbreak as US seeks to relocate ‘minority’ of affected citizens
Latest News

Ebola: Global efforts to contain new outbreak as US seeks to relocate ‘minority’ of affected citizens

adminBy adminMay 18, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


International efforts are underway to contain the Ebola outbreak that has infected hundreds and killed dozens in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) and Uganda, with the United States considering relocating a “small number” of affected nationals.

The World Health Organization on Sunday declared the Ebola outbreak a “public health emergency of international concern.” Although the latest outbreak does not yet meet the criteria for a “pandemic emergency,” high positivity rates and rising numbers of infections and deaths across health regions indicate “the potential for a much larger outbreak than what is currently being detected and reported,” the WHO warned.

The United Nations health agency said at least 80 suspected deaths, eight laboratory-confirmed cases and 246 suspected cases had been reported in DRC’s remote north-eastern Ituri province as of Saturday. In neighboring Uganda, WHO reported that two laboratory-confirmed cases (including one death) have so far been reported in the capital Kampala.

On May 16, 2026, an Ebola hemorrhagic fever outbreak involving the Bundibugyo strain was confirmed in Bunia, Ituri province, and a man is taken from an ambulance as he arrives at Bunia General Hospital.

The WHO says the outbreak is caused by the Bundibugyo strain, one of several viruses that can cause Ebola. The WHO called the outbreak an “extraordinary situation” as there is currently no approved treatment or vaccine specific to the Bundibugyo virus.

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) announced Sunday that it is assisting interagency partners in efforts to relocate “a small number of Americans directly affected” by the outbreak. This comes after health news outlet STAT reported on Sunday that several Americans in the Democratic Republic of Congo are believed to have been exposed to the virus, including some who are considered high risk.

CNN was unable to independently verify the report and has reached out to the CDC and the U.S. State Department for comment.

Dr. Satish Pillai, the CDC’s Ebola response incident manager, declined on Sunday to say whether any Americans were among the infected. He told a news conference that the CDC is “actively evaluating the situation on the ground and does not intend to comment on the disposition of any individuals.”

Staff at CBCA Virunga Hospital prepare a room for a suspected Ebola case in Goma, May 17, 2026.
Medical workers in protective suits walk outside a hospital in Bunia on May 16, 2026.

The CDC said it was already dedicating resources from the agency’s offices around the country to support efforts such as surveillance, contact tracing and laboratory testing, and would mobilize additional support from the agency’s headquarters in Atlanta.

Pillai said the CDC is not aware of any infections on international flights, noting that both countries have exit screening measures in place to prevent the spread of the virus through travel.

International coordination is being stepped up to prevent the spread of the disease as experts warn of a “very worrying” situation.

About seven tons of emergency medical supplies, including protective equipment, tents and beds, arrived in Bunia, the capital of Ituri region, on Sunday to “support the scale-up of front-line response operations,” the WHO said.

Non-governmental organizations such as Médecins Sans Frontières and Médecins Sans Frontières (MSF) are also preparing to launch a large-scale response as soon as possible.

Complicating the response is that this outbreak is occurring on top of a humanitarian crisis. Conflict in the eastern provinces of the Democratic Republic of the Congo has displaced millions of people and weakened the health system.

In Uganda, there is no known link between the two confirmed cases in Kampala, which is “often a warning sign that the outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo is larger than health authorities currently realize,” Adrian Esterman, professor and chair of biostatistics at the University of Adelaide, said in a statement.

May 17, 2026 Almost seven tonnes of emergency medical supplies and equipment arrived in Bunia from Kinshasa today, along with a team of 35 experts including experts from WHO and the Ministry of Health of the Democratic Republic of the Congo, to support the front lines of the Ebola response in Ituri province.

The suspected deaths include four health workers, the WHO said.

Dr Matt Mason, senior lecturer at the University of the Sunshine Coast’s School of Health, said this “raises serious concerns about gaps in infection prevention and control and the potential for spread of infection within health facilities that connect to the wider community”.

According to the WHO, this is the 17th Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of Congo since the virus was first identified in 1976.

According to MSF, the mortality rate for the Bundibugyo strain is estimated to be 25-40%.

Symptoms of Ebola include fever, muscle pain, and rash. The virus is transmitted through direct contact with bodily fluids, such as handling contaminated materials or people who have died from the disease.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleUS and China announce agreement after meeting between President Trump and Xi
Next Article How Elon Musk and Sam Altman went from best friends to adversaries
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Cuban president warns of ‘bloodshed’ if US takes military action

May 18, 2026

Avoiding drones: Air attackers pursue Ukrainian military and CNN team on main road to front lines

May 18, 2026

His only functioning arm was crushed by a crocodile. He returned to the water to fight plastic pollution

May 18, 2026

What did Xi and Trump agree on in China? From the ‘trade commission’ to Boeing planes

May 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Alex Cooper, Matt Kaplan: A Love Story

By adminMay 19, 20260

Still, Cooper took the plunge. And although she initially didn’t think of herself getting married,…

Elon Musk, ex Ashley St. Clair talk about ‘weird’ romance and baby decision

May 19, 2026

Katie Price says husband Lee Andrews is missing after being kidnapped in Dubai

May 19, 2026

What happened when a body was found in a sea cave?

May 19, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Cuban president warns of ‘bloodshed’ if US takes military action

May 18, 2026

Avoiding drones: Air attackers pursue Ukrainian military and CNN team on main road to front lines

May 18, 2026

His only functioning arm was crushed by a crocodile. He returned to the water to fight plastic pollution

May 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.