Antananarivo, Madagascar
Reuters
—
Madagascar’s president’s office announced on Sunday that an “illegal and forcible attempt to seize power” was underway in the African country, without giving details, a day after some soldiers joined protests that began last month.
Troops from CAPSAT, the elite military unit that helped President Andriy Rajoelina seize power in a 2009 coup, disobeyed orders and called on fellow soldiers to support youth-led protests that began on September 25. The protests represent the most serious challenge to President Rajoelina’s rule since his re-election in 2023.
A Reuters witness on Sunday saw three people wounded in gunfire along the road to the CAPSAT barracks. Other witnesses said there was no sign of a continuing conflict.
Rival faction claims to lead security operation
On Sunday, rival forces claimed control of the country’s security operations, and one of the groups representing CAPSAT soldiers said it would coordinate all branches of the military from a base on the outskirts of Antananarivo.
A Ministry of Defense spokesperson and a spokesperson for the Army Chiefs of Staff declined to comment.
The gendarmerie, which has been working with police on protests in recent weeks and has been accused by protesters of using excessive force, said its orders would come “solely from the National Gendarmerie Command Center.”
The protests, inspired by Generation Z-led movements in Kenya and Nepal, began over water and electricity shortages but have since escalated, with demonstrators demanding Rajoelina’s resignation, an apology for violence against protesters, and the dissolution of the Senate and electoral commission.
Thousands of people gathered in Antananarivo on Sunday to protest against the government and pay tribute to slain CAPSAT soldiers, who military forces said were killed by military police on Saturday.
In addition to CAPSAT troops, the peaceful rally was attended by church leaders and opposition politicians, including former President Mark Ravalomanana.
Rajoelina’s office said in a statement on the presidential palace’s official social media accounts that he condemned attempts to destabilize the country and urged “dialogue to resolve the crisis.”
African Union Commission Chairman Mahmoud Ali Yusuf on Sunday welcomed “the government’s renewed commitment to dialogue” and called for calm and restraint.
A video posted on social media on Saturday showed CAPSAT soldiers calling on their fellow troops to “support the people.”
Dozens of soldiers left their barracks late Saturday and escorted thousands of protesters to Antananarivo’s May 13 Square, according to videos aired by local media. The square was the scene of many political riots, and was heavily guarded and closed to visitors during the riots.