Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Bill Gates cancels AI Summit keynote speech amid intense scrutiny over ties to Epstein

February 19, 2026

Jason Bateman talks about sobriety and his relationship with wife Amanda Anka

February 19, 2026

President Trump worries about possible odor

February 19, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Palestinians stranded in confusion when Rafah crossing reopens
Latest News

Palestinians stranded in confusion when Rafah crossing reopens

adminBy adminFebruary 7, 2026No Comments6 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Jerusalem
—

The first week after the partial reopening of the Rafah border between Gaza and Egypt was marked by confusion and logistical hurdles, according to sources who spoke to CNN on condition of anonymity.

The disruption has resulted in far fewer Palestinians crossing the Egypt-Gaza border than expected, nearly two years after Israel seized and sealed the border.

When the partial reopening was announced last week, Israeli security officials told CNN that 150 Palestinians would be allowed to leave Gaza per day, while only 50 would be allowed to enter the country. However, even the details were unclear, with Egyptian state media reporting that only 50 people would be allowed to leave and an equal number to enter the country.

As it turned out, the number of people we saw over the first week was only a fraction of that number. Only 12 Palestinians in each direction crossed the Rafah border when it officially reopened on Monday. On Tuesday, 40 people passed through each way, the highest number for which CNN has obtained statistics.

During the first two days, most Palestinians who had been medically evacuated to Egypt during the war and were scheduled to return to Gaza were barred from re-entering the area, despite having received prior approval from Israeli and Egyptian authorities.

A Palestinian child waves from the window of a bus evacuating war-injured patients at the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt on Monday.

It was not immediately clear why the number of people allowed through the intersection changed each day.

According to the Palestinian Ministry of Health, 20,000 people in the Gaza Strip have completed medical referrals and are awaiting permission to travel abroad for treatment. About 1,000 Palestinians have died while waiting for medical evacuation approval since the war began, according to the ministry and the World Health Organization (WHO).

CNN has reached out to Israel’s Coordination of Government Activities in the Territories (COGAT) for comment, but has not yet received a response.

The few who managed to make it through Egypt said it was a difficult and exhausting journey.

In order for Palestinians to return to Gaza via the Rafah border, they must go through three security checks, first by the Egyptian army, then by the European Union Border Assistance Mission in Rafah (EUBAM) with Palestinian troops, and finally by the Israeli army, which enters Gaza.

Those returning on Monday told CNN they arrived on the Egyptian side of the Rafah crossing at 3 a.m. but were unable to reach Gaza until 11:30 p.m. Some spoke of difficulties, abuses, and increased surveillance both at EUBAM and especially at Israeli checkpoints.

Weeping with frustration, Umm Omar said Israeli forces handcuffed people crossing the river and interrogated them for long hours.

“The Israelis made everything difficult today. They searched us and questioned us about everything: about immigration (from Gaza), about Hamas, about October 7, about every topic you can imagine,” she said.

She said the Egyptians treated them well and took care of their needs, but the Israelis did not allow them anything, including food and drink.

“They made us get rid of all our belongings. They allowed only one bag of clothes per person. Even a little girl was not allowed to carry toys. They told her that toys were not allowed and took them away,” Umm Omar cried angrily.

Lamia Rubia, 27, said all her belongings were searched and many items were seized.

In a statement, the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) reported similar reports from Palestinians who returned to Gaza, alleging a “pattern of abuse and coercion.”

“After two years of total destruction, being able to return to what remains of our families and homes in safety and dignity is the bare minimum,” the statement said, quoting Ajit Sungay, head of OHCHR’s office in the Occupied Palestinian Territories.

Palestinian patients and their relatives boarded buses in Khan Yunis, southern Gaza, on Wednesday and headed to the Rafah crossing.

Diplomatic sources told CNN that returning Palestinians are only allowed to take one bag of belongings with them, and there are limits on the amount of cash they can carry. However, the exact limits are still unclear as various authorities seek to streamline a system that is just beginning to function.

In response to questions from CNN, the Israel Defense Forces (IDF) denied any abuses, saying in a statement that it had “no known incidents of inappropriate conduct, mistreatment, arrests, or confiscation of property by Israeli security services.”

“Security authorities at the inspection facility will check the identity of the earner against a list approved by the Ministry of Defence. Additionally, they will carry out a thorough search of baggage in accordance with international law, in accordance with security policies previously coordinated with Egypt and the European Union Border Assistance Mission in Rafah (EUBAM),” the statement continued.

CNN has contacted EUBAM but has not yet received a response.

However, European Union officials told CNN that policy at the crossing was not decided by EUBAM, but rather based on the Consensus Principles for the Rafah Crossing (APRC) and the Agreement on Movement and Access (AMA), two documents signed by Israel and the Palestinian Authority in 2005.

The list of permitted goods is part of the AMA agreement and unauthorized items will be confiscated before entering Gaza, the source added.

“EUBAM is limited to monitoring and assisting Palestinian border officials. So far, there have been no issues other than some minor logistics,” the official said.

Palestinians from the Rafah crossing hug each other as they arrive at Nasser Hospital in Khan Yunis, Gaza Strip, on Thursday.

In southern Gaza, families waited for hours to welcome their loved ones back.

Iman Rashwan, 30, had been waiting since 8 a.m. Monday for his sister and mother to return from Egypt. They departed in March 2025 after her brother was murdered.

“He was my mother’s only son. She had a heart condition and her heart was so weak from grief that we had to medically evacuate her to Egypt,” Rashwan said.

Despite delays, when the UN-marked buses carrying the returnees arrived, war-torn families were reunited and joy erupted with hugs, smiles and tears.

“Open, open, open!” Rashwan shouted in glee, banging on the bus window.

Rashwan’s mother, in a wheelchair, appeared first and Rashwan immediately collapsed in her arms.

“My yearning for Gaza was so great. I love Gaza and I don’t want to leave…I never thought I would be away for so long,” Rashwan’s mother said, her voice rising with emotion.

“Today’s journey was very difficult. Today was a taste of hell…The Egyptians treated us well, but when we reached the Israelis, the journey became difficult,” she added.

The hardships that await Palestinians in their devastated homeland may outweigh the challenges of their journey. But once they arrived, they were just grateful to be back in Gaza, not wanting to relive the journey they had just endured.

“I advise all Palestinians in the Gaza Strip not to leave the country or even think about leaving,” Umm Omar said.

Another woman emerged from the bus and shouted: “No one should leave Gaza! You should stay here and maintain your dignity.”



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleJim Cramer’s top 10 stocks to watch on Friday
Next Article Super Bowl brings economic benefits to US before game | Soccer News
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Bill Gates cancels AI Summit keynote speech amid intense scrutiny over ties to Epstein

February 19, 2026

Summary of the Year of the Horse, Lunar New Year, and Lunar New Year

February 19, 2026

Close Your Eyes: From survival show to global K-pop sensation

February 19, 2026

Greece is working with other European countries to set up migrant deportation hubs outside the EU. Click here for the latest information on the plan.

February 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Jason Bateman talks about sobriety and his relationship with wife Amanda Anka

By adminFebruary 19, 20260

In October 2018, the American Pie star announced he had been sober for a year…

Dorinda, Traitors Season 4 Reunion, Medley About A Golden Life

February 19, 2026

NYFW Sleepy Girl at-home makeup trends

February 19, 2026

Josh Duggar’s wife Anna Duggar returns to Instagram

February 19, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Bill Gates cancels AI Summit keynote speech amid intense scrutiny over ties to Epstein

February 19, 2026

Summary of the Year of the Horse, Lunar New Year, and Lunar New Year

February 19, 2026

Close Your Eyes: From survival show to global K-pop sensation

February 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.