Both countries reinstated the rights last year after being banned after the invasion of Ukraine.
listen to this article2 minutes
information
Published February 19, 2026
Olympic host Italy has called for the reversal of its decision to have 10 athletes from Russia and Belarus compete at next month’s Paralympics, playing their national flags and anthems.
Foreign Minister Antonio Tajani and Sports Minister Andrea Abodi on Thursday urged the International Paralympic Committee to reconsider its position because of Russia’s four-year invasion of Ukraine, saying it goes against the spirit of the Olympics.
Recommended stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
In a statement late Wednesday, the Italian government expressed its “absolute opposition” to the IPC’s September ruling, adding that Rome’s position was similar to that of 33 other countries and the European Commission.
“Russia’s continued violation of the Armistice Agreement and the Olympic and Paralympic ideals, with the support of Belarus, is incompatible with the participation of athletes in the Olympic Games, with the exception of athletes as neutral individual athletes,” the statement said.
The Russian embassy in Italy said targeting athletes with disabilities is unacceptable. “The harsh and undiplomatic stance taken by two Italian politicians, supported by the authority of the governments they represent, is offensive and deserves widespread condemnation,” the newspaper said in a Telegram message.
Russia and its ally Belarus were used as staging areas for attacks on Ukraine and were banned from Paralympic competition after the 2022 invasion, but a vote by member states last year restored full rights under the IPC.
Russia and Belarus successfully sued the International Ski and Snowboard Federation at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in December, although the international federations of each sport participating in the Paralympic Games program had announced that the ban on athletes from these countries would remain in place.
A limited number of athletes from Russia and Belarus are competing in the ongoing Winter Olympics as neutral independents without a flag or anthem, while their Olympic committees are still sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee.
An Italian cabinet official denied a report in La Repubblica that suggested President Tajani was moving to block visas for Russians. “Italian authorities will not take any steps to prevent the issuance of visas for athletes or their entourage if their participation is confirmed,” the source said.
The Winter Paralympic Games will be held from March 6th to 15th.
