Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Build Android for Robotics with Intrinsic

February 18, 2026

Vatican will not participate in President Trump’s ‘peace commission’

February 18, 2026

Katie Thurston’s double mastectomy, 1 year of cancer updates

February 18, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » CBS blocks Stephen Colbert from interviewing James Talarico
Finance

CBS blocks Stephen Colbert from interviewing James Talarico

adminBy adminFebruary 18, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Democratic Texas Congressman James Talarico speaks at the U.S. Senate campaign launch rally in Round Rock, Texas, on September 9, 2025.

Brandon Bell | Getty Images

Stephen Colbert has accused CBS of banning him from airing an interview with Texas Congressman James Talarico, a Democrat running for U.S. Senate, on his late-night TV show.

“You know who’s not my guest tonight? That’s Texas Congressman James Talarico,” Colbert told the show’s studio audience on Monday night’s episode of “The Late Show with Stephen Colbert.”

“He was supposed to be here, but our network’s attorney called us directly and told us in no uncertain terms that we couldn’t have him on the air,” Colbert said, drawing boos from the audience.

“Then we were told in no uncertain terms that not only could we not wear him, we could not even mention not wearing him,” Colbert said.

“And my network obviously doesn’t want me to talk about this, so let’s talk about this,” Colbert said to laughter and applause.

“The Late Show with Stephen Colbert” during a performance on June 25, 2025.

Scott Kowalczyk | CBS | Getty Images

Colbert suggested CBS’ move was a result of concerns that the network would draw the ire of the Federal Communications Commission.

Colbert’s comments are the latest in further escalating tensions between the talk show host and the FCC after ABC briefly canceled fellow late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel’s show last summer.

Last month, the FCC issued guidance to its three broadcast networks reminding them of a 1934 law that requires networks to provide equal coverage to political candidates when their opponents appear on the air.

The guidance pointed out that there was no evidence that late-night and daytime talk show interviews were exempt from the legal exemption for “honest” reporting.

On Monday’s show, Colbert pointed to reports earlier this month that the FCC was investigating ABC’s daytime talk show “The View” because of Talarico’s appearances.

“The Late Show was not prohibited by CBS from broadcasting the interview with Congressman James Talarico,” CBS said in a statement to CNBC.

“The program provided legal guidance that the broadcast could trigger the FCC’s equal time provisions against two other candidates, including Rep. Jasmine Crockett (D-Texas), and presented options for how to achieve equal time for other candidates,” CBS said.

“The Late Show has decided to present the interview through its YouTube channel, with on-air promotion on air, rather than offering a same-time slot option.”

Read more CNBC’s political coverage

Talarico on Tuesday posted a link to an interview with Colbert that is available online.

“I think (President) Trump is concerned that he is trying to turn Texas upside down. This is the party that bucked cancel culture,” Talarico said in a statement provided to CNBC by his Senate campaign.

“They are now trying to control what we see, what we say, what we read,” Talarico said.

“This is the most dangerous kind of cancel culture, and the kind that comes from above. A threat to one First Amendment right is a threat to all First Amendment rights.”

Mr. Talarico is facing Mr. Crockett in a close Democratic primary race for the U.S. Senate seat, with early voting beginning Tuesday. The winner will face the winner of the Republican primary between Sen. John Cornyn and Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton. The last time a Democrat won a statewide election was in Texas in 1994.

The FCC did not immediately respond to a request for comment on whether CBS violated the agency’s guidance by airing Talarico’s interview.

FCC Commissioner Anna Gomez said in a statement that CBS’ decision is “yet another troubling example of corporate capitulation in the face of this administration’s extensive campaign to censor and regulate speech.”

“The FCC has no legal authority to pressure broadcasters for political purposes or create an atmosphere that chills free expression,” Gomez said.

“CBS is fully protected by the First Amendment to decide what interviews to air, which makes the decision to bow to political pressure all the more disappointing,” Gomez said.

“While it is no secret that Paramount, the parent company of CBS, has regulatory issues ahead of the government, corporate interests cannot justify withdrawing from broadcasting newsworthy content. The FCC has no power to impose restrictions on protected speech, and attempts to intimidate broadcasters into self-censorship undermine both press freedom and public trust.”

“I once again urge broadcasters and their parent companies to stand firm against these unlawful pressures and continue to exercise their constitutional right to speak freely without government interference,” Gomez said.

paramount skydance launched a hostile bid against warner bros discoverya transaction that would require regulatory approval from the federal government if WBD shareholders accept the offer.

CBS announced in July that Colbert’s show would be canceled in May.

The announcement came shortly after Colbert accused the network of giving Trump what he called a “huge bribe.” Paramount Skydance previously agreed to pay Trump’s future presidential library $16 million to settle a lawsuit over the editing of a “60 Minutes” interview with then-Vice President Kamala Harris.

A week after CBS announced it would cancel Colbert’s show, the FCC approved the $8 billion merger between Paramount and Skydance Media.

Mr. Colbert represented Mr. Kimmel in September when ABC pulled Mr. Kimmel off the air after FCC Chairman Brendan Carr said the network’s broadcast license was in jeopardy because of Mr. Kimmel’s comments about the suspect in the murder of conservative activist Charlie Kirk.

Kimmel’s show returned to the air about a week later.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleIndia’s Sarvam wants to bring its AI models to feature phones, cars and smart glasses
Next Article Real Madrid’s Vinicius Junior claims racism, Mourinho and Benfica come under fire | Soccer News
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

GIS, LUV, GPC, NCLH, etc.

February 18, 2026

Bringing student loan forgiveness eligibility to more borrowers

February 18, 2026

A man with a shotgun and a tactical vest ran into the Capitol, police chief said.

February 18, 2026

AI whack-a-mole will take over the stock market. JP Morgan says these stocks are insulated

February 18, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Katie Thurston’s double mastectomy, 1 year of cancer updates

By adminFebruary 18, 20260

Katie Thurston talks about her breast cancer treatment planAfter receiving her stage 4 diagnosis, Katie…

ANTM’s Nigel Barker talks about his friendship with Tyra Banks after being fired

February 18, 2026

Best 90s fashion, trends to wear in 2026

February 18, 2026

Hilary Duff opens up about her estranged relationship with sister Hayley Duff

February 18, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Vatican will not participate in President Trump’s ‘peace commission’

February 18, 2026

Palmerston, one of Britain’s top diplomats, dies in Bermuda

February 18, 2026

First shark caught on camera in deep Antarctic waters

February 18, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.