Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Timothée Chalamet doubts his acting ability as co-star

February 21, 2026

Sam Altman wants us to remember that humans also use a lot of energy.

February 21, 2026

Ukraine accuses Hungary, Slovakia of ‘extortion’ over blackout threat

February 21, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Businesses warn trade ‘victory’ is yet to come
Finance

Businesses warn trade ‘victory’ is yet to come

adminBy adminFebruary 21, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


World leaders attended the G7 Leaders’ Summit held in the Kananaskis Islands, Alberta, Canada, on June 17, 2025.

Amber Bracken | Reuters

U.S. trading partners on Friday cautiously welcomed a U.S. Supreme Court decision striking down much of President Donald Trump’s flagship trade policy on global tariffs, but the World Trade Organization warned of lingering uncertainty over import tariffs.

In a long-awaited Supreme Court ruling, a 6-3 majority ruled that the law that underpins import tariffs “does not authorize the President to impose tariffs.”

Hours after the ruling, President Trump announced that he had signed an executive order imposing a new 10% “universal tariff.” President Trump said the Section 122 tariffs would go into effect “almost immediately.” At a White House press conference Friday afternoon, President Trump slammed the 6-3 “very disappointing” ruling.

President Trump’s tariffs affected a wide range of countries, from the United Kingdom to India to the European Union. Some governments, such as Vietnam and Brazil, are still negotiating.

Taiwan, one of the world’s largest contract chipmakers and producers of cutting-edge semiconductors, said initial assessments suggest a 10% flat tariff would have a “limited impact” on the economy.

Taiwan’s Cabinet said in a statement on Saturday that Taiwan will continue to “closely monitor” developments and maintain close communication with the United States to understand concrete measures and respond in a timely manner.

French President Emmanuel Macron reportedly said the Supreme Court’s decision proved the benefits of having effective countermeasures to power.

“It’s not a bad thing to have a Supreme Court and therefore the rule of law,” he said at an event in Paris on Saturday, Reuters reported.

A British government spokesperson said it would continue to work with the White House administration to understand how the ruling would affect tariffs in the UK and other countries.

“This is a matter for the United States to decide, but we will continue to support British companies as soon as further details are released,” the spokesperson said.

“The UK enjoys some of the lowest reciprocal tariffs in the world and we expect our privileged trading position with the US to continue under any scenario.” Britain agreed a wide-ranging trade deal with the US in May last year, imposing broad 10% tariffs on a number of goods, but also included certain carve-outs on steel, aluminum, cars and pharmaceuticals.

The Supreme Court’s case focused primarily on reciprocal tariffs, and the ruling left many of Britain’s trade deals with the United States unaffected, including sectoral preferential tariffs for steel, pharmaceuticals and cars.

But the British Chambers of Commerce (BCC) trade body said the US Supreme Court’s decision added to the ongoing uncertainty surrounding the levy.

SCOTUS ruling is a 'very clear condemnation' of Trump tariffs, says Jamil Jaffer

William Bain, head of trade policy at the BCC, said the measures would “do little to clear the waters” for British businesses, warning that the president still had “other options at his disposal” to maintain the current regime of steel and aluminum tariffs.

“The court’s decision raises questions about how US importers can recover the levy they have already paid, and whether UK exporters can also receive a share of the rebate, subject to commercial terms,” ​​Mr Bain said in a statement. “It remains a priority for the UK to reduce tariffs wherever possible.”

Olof Gil, the European Commission’s spokesperson for trade and economic security, said businesses on both sides of the Atlantic depend on “stability and predictability”.

“We are in close contact with the U.S. government to clarify what actions they intend to take in response to this ruling,” Gill said. “Therefore, we will continue to advocate for low tariffs and work towards lowering them.”

Meanwhile, Canada’s U.S.-Canada Trade Relations Minister Dominic LeBlanc said the decision “reinforces Canada’s position that the IEEPA tariffs imposed by the United States are unjustified.”

No trade “wins” yet

Swiss technology industry group Swissmem welcomed the ruling, but warned that the Trump administration could invoke other laws to “legalize tariffs” and called on Swiss policymakers to strengthen the country’s competitiveness with new free trade agreements.

“From the point of view of Switzerland’s export industry, this is a good decision. High tariffs are seriously damaging high-tech industries,” Swissmem said. “However, today’s ruling does not mean we have won anything yet.”

“High tariffs have seriously damaged high-tech industries,” Swissmem wrote on X. “What is important now is to quickly secure relations with the United States through a binding trade agreement.”

The International Chamber of Commerce said many companies would welcome the ruling, given the “significant strain” on their balance sheets in recent months.

“However, companies should not expect a simple process; the structure of US import procedures means that claims are likely to be administratively complex. Today’s judgment is worryingly silent on this issue, and clear guidance from the International Trade Court and relevant US authorities is essential to minimize avoidable costs and prevent litigation risks,” the ICC said.

—CNBC’s Jackson Peck and Greg Kennedy contributed to this article.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleTeam USA makes history with 11 gold medals
Next Article Ukraine accuses Hungary, Slovakia of ‘extortion’ over blackout threat
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Supreme Court Trump Tariff Decision: Retail Industry Reaction

February 21, 2026

Industry still faces tax increases after Supreme Court ruling

February 21, 2026

CEO of Supreme Court tariff winner Learning Resources touts victory

February 21, 2026

Student loan delinquency rate jumps to nearly 25%: Analysis

February 21, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Timothée Chalamet doubts his acting ability as co-star

By adminFebruary 21, 20260

Why Timothée Chalamet apologized for Kylie Jenner’s ‘grumpy’ birthday behaviorTimothée Chalamet has detailed an unpleasant…

Team USA makes history with 11 gold medals

February 21, 2026

Alice + Olivia Stacey Bendet NYFW 2026 Fashion Predictions

February 21, 2026

Chyler Leigh reacts to Eric Dane’s death

February 21, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Ukraine accuses Hungary, Slovakia of ‘extortion’ over blackout threat

February 21, 2026

US ambassador says it’s ‘no problem’ if Israel occupies much of the Middle East

February 21, 2026

Diego Garcia: Britain blocks use of airbase, Trump says needed to attack Iran, British media reports

February 21, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.