Ukraine expressed anger at the International Paralympic Committee’s decision, calling it “regrettable and outrageous.”
listen to this article3 minutes
information
Published February 18, 2026
Ukraine will allow Russian and Belarusian athletes to compete under their national flags at the 2026 Milan-Cortina Winter Paralympic Games, condemning moves to lift a ban imposed after Russia’s 2022 invasion.
The International Paralympic Committee (IPC) announced in a statement on Tuesday that 10 para-athletes from Russia and Belarus will be participating in next month’s Paralympics.
Recommended stories
list of 3 itemsend of list
“The decision of the Paralympic organizers to allow the murderer and his accomplices to participate in the Paralympic Games under the national flag is unfortunate and outrageous,” Ukrainian Sports Minister Matvy Bidny wrote on social media.
It added that the flags of Russia and Belarus “have no place in international sporting events that represent fairness, honesty and respect. These are the flags of regimes that have turned sport into an instrument of war, lies and disrespect.”
In Russia, Bidny attacked President Vladimir Putin, saying: “Paralympic sports have become a pillar for those whom President Putin sent to Ukraine to kill, and for those who returned from Ukraine with injuries and disabilities.”
Belarus and Russia were banned from competing in the Paralympic Games following the invasion of Ukraine, but regained full membership of the IPC in September 2025 after member organizations voted to lift the partial ban.
Russia and Belarus won an appeal against the International Ski and Snowboard Federation (FIS) at the Court of Arbitration for Sport in December, although the international federations of each sport participating in the Paralympic Games program said they would maintain the ban on athletes from those countries.
“Following the decision of the IPC members at the IPC General Assembly in September 2025… and the subsequent decision of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in December…, both NPCs are now eligible to apply for dual quotas in the sports of para-alpine skiing, para-cross-country skiing and para-snowboarding through the FIS for the para-alpine skiing, para-cross-country skiing and para-snowboarding of the 2026 Milan-Cortina Winter Paralympic Games,” the IPC said in a statement. Russia and Belarus.
Russia will receive two spots in para-alpine skiing, two spots in para-cross-country skiing and two spots in para-snowboarding.
“NPC Belarus was awarded four spots in the cross-country ski competition, one male and three female,” IPC added.
Athletes will be able to compete under their national flags at the March 6-15 Paralympics, but a limited number of athletes from Russia and Belarus are competing as neutral independent athletes at the ongoing Winter Games without their national flag or anthem, and their Olympic committees are still sanctioned by the International Olympic Committee.
The IPC’s decision infuriated Ukraine’s Vladislav Heraskevich, who was disqualified from the Olympic skeleton event last week.
The IPC’s decision infuriated Ukraine’s Vladislav Heraskevich, who was disqualified from the skeleton event at the Milan-Cortina Olympics last week.
“It’s ridiculous that they would give away any kind of quota,” Heraskevich, who was disqualified for wanting to wear a helmet depicting a Ukrainian athlete killed during Russia’s invasion of his country, told Reuters.
