Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

Charges against Kilmer Abrego Garcia dropped, judge finds guilty in Trump Justice Department case

May 23, 2026

Lululemon Anniversary Lowest Price: Align Leggings, Everywhere Belt Bag

May 23, 2026

F1 legend Prost suffers head injury during suspected robbery at home in Switzerland | 2020 Motorsport News

May 23, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » China’s worst coal mine explosion in more than a decade kills 82 people
Latest News

China’s worst coal mine explosion in more than a decade kills 82 people

adminBy adminMay 23, 2026No Comments5 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email



summary




A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 82 people, making it the country’s deadliest mining disaster in more than a decade. Rescue efforts have been complicated by inaccurate underground maps and a lack of GPS tracking devices, forcing teams to search all the tunnels beneath the flooded site. Chinese leader Xi Jinping has ordered a thorough investigation and accountability, but local officials claim the mining company committed serious legal violations.

AI-generated summaries were reviewed by CNN editors.

Beijing —

A gas explosion at a coal mine in northern China has killed at least 82 people, state media said, making it the country’s worst mining disaster in more than a decade.

Rescue efforts are still continuing almost a day after the explosion, with emergency teams descending on the Liushenyu mine to search for workers trapped underground, state broadcaster CCTV said.

According to CCTV, the explosion occurred about 300 meters underground. In the aftermath, the explosion site was reportedly filled with water and pieces of broken walls. Rescue teams are descending with water pipes and kayaks and approaching the scene.

But their efforts were complicated by the fact that underground maps provided by the mining company and distributed to rescue teams did not match the actual conditions underground, state Beijing News reported. This means rescue teams have to search all tunnels instead of targeting specific locations.

Underground workers are also required to carry personal GPS tracking devices, but some were not carrying them at the time of the explosion, Beijing News reported.

Nearly 250 people were working underground at the facility in Shanxi province when the explosion occurred Friday night. At least 201 people had been evacuated as of Saturday morning, CCTV said, adding that 123 people were being treated in hospital later in the day.

Authorities revised down the death toll originally announced in state media at 90, citing chaos at the scene. It is unclear whether any workers are still missing.

“The site was in chaos after the accident,” said the head of Qinyuan County, where the mine is located. “The company did not have a clear idea of ​​the number of workers on site, and as a result, the initially reported numbers were inaccurate.”

At a press conference in Changzhi on Saturday night, Mayor Chen Xiaoyang said that according to a preliminary assessment, the coal mining companies involved had committed “serious legal violations.”

Zhang Wenbo, director of the city’s emergency management department, warned that there are further risks ahead.

“During rescue operations… toxic and harmful gases have exceeded the limit for a long period of time, and there is a risk of secondary disasters occurring,” Zhang said.

Chinese leader Xi Jinping instructed Vice Premier Zhang Guoqing to attend the scene Saturday night, according to state media. Zhang is believed to be leading ongoing emergency response operations.

Mr. Xi called for a “thorough investigation” and “accountability” into the incident.

CCTV said cracking down on illegal mining activities, including tampering with safety surveillance, covert operations and unclear reporting of the number of people underground, is also seen as a priority for the country.

Rescue workers pass an ambulance in the aftermath of an explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Changzhi, Qinyuan County, China on Saturday.

In response to an interview with CNN, a representative who answered the phone from the company that operates the mine, Shanxi Tongzhou Group Liushenyu Coal Industry, said, “We are not aware of the situation,” and hung up.

State media reported on Saturday that the heads of the “companies involved” had been subject to “administrative measures in accordance with the law.” This expression is usually used to indicate that something is constrained.

The cause of the explosion is under investigation, Xinhua News Agency said.

One of the injured miners, Wang Yong, told CCTV that he knew something was wrong when he saw explosive smoke and the smell of sulfur “just like firecrackers.”

“I told people to run. As I was running, I saw people lying down, suffocated by the smoke, and I also fainted,” Wang said. “Then I lay there for about an hour and then woke up… (and) then I woke up the people next to me and we left the mine together.”

The disaster is the latest in a series of devastating incidents linked to China’s coal mining and is believed to be the deadliest since a 2009 explosion at a state-run mine in Heilongjiang province that killed 108 people. In the early 2000s, several mining accidents occurred, resulting in over 100 deaths.

Rescue workers work at the scene after a gas explosion at the Liushenyu coal mine in Qinyuan County, China, May 23, 2026.

Since then, safety records have improved as the industry has consolidated and become more regulated, but tragedies still occur and subsequent calls for greater accountability and oversight from central governments are common.

In 2023, 53 workers were killed in a mine collapse in Inner Mongolia, state media reported. The following year, the Chinese government implemented new coal mining regulations, increasing the burden of inspections on operators and increasing oversight by local authorities.

Coal is China’s main energy source, accounting for more than half of the world’s second-largest economy’s energy consumption and playing an important role in energy security.

While promoting a green transition, the Chinese government has continued to expand coal infrastructure, ensuring grid stability for renewable energy sources such as wind and solar.

Shanxi Province, where this incident occurred, is one of the country’s leading coal producing regions, accounting for more than a quarter of the country’s coal.

CNN’s Fred He contributed to this report.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleAlix Earle talks about dating older men, rumors of romance with Tom Brady
Next Article Walmart executives step down under CEO John Furner
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

US, Iran signal progress towards agreement as mediator leaves Tehran

May 23, 2026

Hardline general wanted by Interpol emerges as key figure in Iran war

May 23, 2026

Putin condemns Ukraine for deadly attack on university dormitory, orders response

May 23, 2026

Battlefield losses and economic pain will increase pressure on Putin, European spy chief says

May 23, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Lululemon Anniversary Lowest Price: Align Leggings, Everywhere Belt Bag

By adminMay 23, 20260

congratulations. We made it through the long Memorial Day weekend without incident. You can enjoy…

Alix Earle talks about dating older men, rumors of romance with Tom Brady

May 23, 2026

Brandi Glanville may have ‘STI ringworm’ in her throat

May 23, 2026

Grizz Chapman, 30-year-old rock actor, dies at 52

May 23, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

China’s worst coal mine explosion in more than a decade kills 82 people

May 23, 2026

US, Iran signal progress towards agreement as mediator leaves Tehran

May 23, 2026

Hardline general wanted by Interpol emerges as key figure in Iran war

May 23, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.