Close Menu
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

What's Hot

New NATO member Sweden announces $4 billion in defense investment. Serve pop 5%

May 20, 2026

Google’s Gemini Omni turns images, audio, and text into video – and that’s just the beginning

May 20, 2026

Polymarket launches private company deal to allow investors to speculate in Anthropic, OpenAI

May 20, 2026
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram
Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Vimeo
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
  • Home
  • AI
  • Entertainment
  • Finance
  • Sports
  • Tech
  • USA
  • World
  • Latest News
BWE News – USA, World, Tech, AI, Finance, Sports & Entertainment Updates
Home » Antropic and the Department of Defense face off in D.C. court over blacklisting
Tech

Antropic and the Department of Defense face off in D.C. court over blacklisting

adminBy adminMay 19, 2026No Comments4 Mins Read
Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp VKontakte Email
Share
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn Pinterest Email


Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei at the AI ​​Impact Summit on Thursday, February 19, 2026 in New Delhi, India.

Ruhani Kaur | Bloomberg | Getty Images

A federal appeals court in Washington, D.C., is scheduled to hear arguments Tuesday in Anthropic’s lawsuit against the Pentagon’s blacklisting. The lawsuit is the latest in a months-long conflict between the Department of Defense and one of the nation’s leading artificial intelligence companies.

According to an order issued earlier this month, the U.S. Department of Justice and Anthropic on behalf of the Pentagon will each have 15 minutes to present their case to a panel of three circuit judges. Justices Karen Henderson, Gregory Katsas, and Neomi Rao will then be advised on the matter and will issue a written opinion.

Proceedings begin Tuesday at 9:30 a.m. Eastern Time.

Anthropic sued Secretary of Defense Pete Hegseth in March after he and the Pentagon declared the AI ​​startup a supply chain risk, a threat to U.S. national security. This label has historically been reserved for foreign adversaries, requiring defense contractors to certify that they will not use Anthropic’s Claude models in their work with the military.

The designation came after months of tense negotiations between Anthropic and the Department of Defense broke down. The Pentagon wanted Anthropic to give the Pentagon unfettered access to its models for all lawful purposes, but Anthropic wanted assurances that its technology would not be used for fully autonomous weapons or domestic mass surveillance.

The two sides were unable to reach an agreement, and Hegseth blacklisted Anthropic and bashed the company on social media. Anthropic CEO Dario Amodei said the company had “no choice” but to challenge the supply chain risk designation in court.

The Pentagon continues to use Anthropic’s model to support military operations against Iran, and President Donald Trump told CNBC last month that a deal between the Pentagon and the startup was “possible.”

An appeals court denied Anthropic’s request to temporarily block the designation in April, meaning the designation remains in effect pending litigation. But the judges agreed to expedite the case because Anthropic “is likely to suffer irreparable harm” during the litigation, according to the order.

The government argued in briefs ahead of Tuesday’s hearing that Anthropic could “incorporate limitations” into its model that could pose an “intolerable national security risk.” According to the brief, Mr. Hegseth determined that Anthropic, in particular, would “undermine the substantial trust necessary to sustain the relationship” because the company could “manipulate the model to enforce its own moral and policy judgments about the military’s appropriate use of technology.”

Anthropic said in a separate briefing that the idea that limits could be encoded in future models is unsupported and there is “no basis” for the supply chain risk designation. The company also claims Hegseth and the Department of Defense violated the Constitution and existing procedures.

“The court should find this designation illegal,” Antropic’s lawyers wrote.

In addition to the lawsuit in Washington, D.C., Anthropic has filed a separate, related lawsuit in federal court in San Francisco. The Department of Defense relies on two different designations to justify its actions regarding supply chain risk, which means these designations must be litigated in two separate courts.

Anthropic was granted a preliminary injunction in the San Francisco lawsuit, allowing government agencies other than the Department of Defense to use Anthropic’s model while the lawsuit progresses.

“Applicable law provides no support for the Orwellian notion that U.S. companies that express disagreement with the government may be branded as potential adversaries and obstructionists of the United States,” the judge wrote.

WATCH: Anthropic considers $50 billion raise at nearly $900 billion valuation: Report

Anthropic considers $50 billion raise at nearly $900 billion valuation: report
Make CNBC your preferred source on Google and never miss a moment from the most trusted names in business news.



Source link

Share. Facebook Twitter Pinterest LinkedIn Tumblr WhatsApp Email
Previous ArticleWhy car wash real estate is being cleaned up
Next Article Why it happens and how to avoid it
admin
  • Website

Related Posts

Polymarket launches private company deal to allow investors to speculate in Anthropic, OpenAI

May 20, 2026

Google debuts new AI glasses ahead of fall launch

May 20, 2026

OpenAI announces new capacity guarantee service for customers to protect their compute

May 20, 2026

SpaceX names Goldman Sachs as top IPO candidate, sources say

May 20, 2026
Leave A Reply Cancel Reply

Our Picks

Newly freed hostages face long road to recovery after two years in captivity

October 15, 2025

Former Kenyan Prime Minister Raila Odinga dies at 80

October 15, 2025

New NATO member offers to buy more US weapons to Ukraine as Western aid dwindles

October 15, 2025

Russia expands drone targeting on Ukraine’s rail network

October 15, 2025
Don't Miss
Entertainment

Cardi B, Kendrick Lamar considered lead candidate

By adminMay 20, 20260

Sportswoman of the Year Award Aja Wilson — Basketball Angel Reese — Basketball Claressa Shields…

Brooke Averick reveals she will miss Phoebe Berman’s real-world influence

May 20, 2026

Hayden Panettiere talks about the dynamic change in Connie Britton’s fame in Nashville

May 20, 2026

Emily Henry addresses Patrick Schwarzenegger’s Beach Reid casting criticism

May 20, 2026
About Us
About Us

Welcome to BWE News – your trusted source for timely, reliable, and insightful news from around the globe.

At BWE News, we believe in keeping our readers informed with facts that matter. Our mission is to deliver clear, unbiased, and up-to-date news so you can stay ahead in an ever-changing world.

Our Picks

Thirty years ago, Cuba shot down a plane carrying Americans. Former President Raul Castro may also be indicted in this case.

May 19, 2026

Fidel Castro’s daughter has no love for Cuba’s regime, but warns not to underestimate it

May 19, 2026

Far-right Israeli Minister Bezalel Smotrich says ICC seeks arrest warrant

May 19, 2026

Subscribe to Updates

Subscribe to our newsletter and never miss our latest news

Facebook X (Twitter) Instagram Pinterest
  • Home
  • About Us
  • Advertise With Us
  • Contact US
  • DMCA
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms & Conditions
© 2026 bwenews. Designed by bwenews.

Type above and press Enter to search. Press Esc to cancel.