A man has been charged with committing a hate crime after a car crashed into the gates of Brisbane’s largest synagogue. This is the latest in a series of attacks on Australia’s Jewish community.
The attack follows a series of attacks on Jews and their religious sites in the country, with community leaders warning of rising anti-Semitism.
In December, two gunmen opened fire on families celebrating the first day of Hanukkah at Sydney’s famous Bondi Beach, killing 15 people. It was the country’s worst mass shooting in nearly 30 years.
Queensland Police say a black pickup truck crashed into a Brisbane synagogue on Friday night, destroying the gate and then being driven away.
It added that a 32-year-old man was later taken into custody after investigators located the vehicle.
Police said there were no injuries.
The man is expected to appear in Brisbane Magistrates Court on Saturday to face a number of charges including willful damage, serious defamation and hate crime, dangerous driving and possession of dangerous drugs.
Several anti-Semitic incidents have been recorded in major Australian cities in recent years, in part related to anger over Israel’s Gaza war, which was sparked by a deadly Hamas-led attack on October 7, 2023 that has since killed tens of thousands of Palestinians.
The Israeli government has repeatedly criticized the Australian government for failing to deal with anti-Semitic attacks in the country.
Israeli President Isaac Herzog’s visit earlier this month after the Bondi attack sparked protests in major Australian cities, including clashes between pro-Palestinian demonstrators and police outside Sydney City Hall.
Following Friday’s attack in Brisbane, Queensland Premier David Crisafulli described the incident as “very concerning”.
“This would be extremely distressing for the Jewish community in Queensland,” he wrote in a social media post, adding he had already spoken to Jewish leaders and police.
“I want to assure Queenslanders that we are taking this matter seriously,” the premier said.
