Eighteen Senegalese fans were detained after the AFCON final in Morocco on January 18 and were sentenced on Thursday.
listen to this article2 minutes
information
Published February 20, 2026
The Senegalese Football Federation on Friday condemned as “incomprehensibly harsh” the sentences handed down to 18 Senegalese football fans in Morocco for hooliganism during last month’s African Cup of Nations final.
The group, who were sentenced on Thursday to between three and 12 months in prison, had been in pre-trial detention since January 18, the day of the heated AFCON final, which Morocco lost 1-0 to Senegal on home soil.
Recommended stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
Late in the match, some Senegalese supporters attempted to invade the pitch, and Senegalese players suspended the match for nearly 20 minutes to protest a late penalty awarded to Morocco.
Some fans were also seen throwing chairs and other items onto the field.
The defendants were charged in Rabat with “hooliganism,” including, among other things, acts of violence against law enforcement, damaging sports equipment, trespassing on stadiums, and throwing projectiles.
“We express our deep regret and pain following the verdict,” Bacary Cissé, head of the FSF’s communications committee, told AFP news agency.
“This inexplicably draconian decision has caused widespread outrage,” he added.
Nine supporters were sentenced to one year in prison and fined 5,000 dirhams ($545), six others were sentenced to six months and fined 2,000 dirhams ($218), and three were sentenced to three months in prison and fined 1,000 dirhams ($109).
“Clashes have occurred in numerous stadiums around the world, including every weekend in Morocco, but such sanctions have not resulted,” Cissé said. “Therefore, the treatment of these supporters appears disproportionate.”
Defense lawyer Patrick Cabu called Thursday’s verdict “incomprehensible” and said his client was a “victim.”
