Rousey will take on Carano on May 16 in California, making her return to MMA for the first time in nearly a decade.
listen to this article3 minutes
information
Published February 18, 2026
Ronda Rousey and Gina Carano will end their long retirement from mixed martial arts (MMA) when they square off on May 16th at the Intuit Dome in Inglewood, California.
The two trailblazing fighters announced Tuesday that they will be returning for a bout sponsored by Most Valuable Promotions, the martial arts promotion founded by influencer-turned-boxer Jake Paul and his business partner Nakisa Bidalian. This show will be broadcast on Netflix.
Recommended stories
list of 4 itemsend of list
Rousey, 39, hasn’t fought since 2016, while Carano, 43, whose eight-fight MMA career ended in 2009. They will fight five five-minute rounds at 145 pounds (66 kg).
Despite their lengthy absences, Rousey and Carano remain two of the most iconic fighters in MMA history due to their pioneering careers. Carano brought their once-outlawed sport to the mainstream of broadcast television, while Rousey secured the enthusiastic embrace of women’s MMA by Dana White and the UFC.
Rousey (12-2) has developed into arguably the biggest athlete in mixed martial arts after winning an Olympic medal in judo in 2008. Her armbar finishes and cage charisma alone inspired White to put Rousey at the center of his plans and begin popularizing women’s MMA.
Rousey won the UFC’s first women’s fight to win the bantamweight title belt in 2013 and still holds the promotion’s record with six title defenses.
After finishing 11 of her first 12 matches in the first round, losing back-to-back bouts to Holly Holm and Amanda Nunes, her career came to an abrupt halt, forcing her to pursue acting, professional wrestling, and motherhood.
“I’ve been waiting a long time to announce this: Me and Gina Carano are going to throw down in the biggest superfight in women’s martial arts history!” Rousey said. “This is for all MMA fans past, present and future.”
Carano (7-1) competed in the first Nevada state-sanctioned women’s MMA bout in 2006, winning a series of bouts and gaining network television attention in the sport’s early days. She was stopped by Cris “Cyborg” Justino in her most recent match in August 2009 and moved on to an acting career, despite numerous rumors of a return to the cage.
“Ronda came to me and said there was only one person who would come back and it was her dream to make this match between us happen,” Carano said.
“She thanked me for opening the door to her career and respectfully asked me to make this fight happen. It’s an honor. I believe we’ll finish this fight with a win, and I know it won’t be easy, but I welcome it. This is as much for Ronda and me as it is for the fans and the mixed martial arts community.”
Carano, who turns 44 in April, has landed several high-profile film roles and was a cast member in Disney’s The Mandalorian, but her contract was not renewed in 2021 after she expressed controversial right-wing views in a series of social media posts.
Last year, Carano settled a lawsuit against Lucasfilm and the Walt Disney Company over claims she was fired for her position.

